Secondary School - maths and science tuition
- Life Healthcare sponsored the creation a Saturday School at Somerset College, for additional math and science tuition for teachers and learners in Grades 12,11, and 10 of Nomzamo High School in Somerset West, Cape Town.
- Life Healthcare sponsored the University of Cape Town (UCT) to undertake a research project in accessing the prevalence of Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) in school children in Van Guard Estate, Cape Town. The success of the project has led to the formation of a National RHD Register, and the inclusion of RHD testing in the school health programme. Subsequently, Life Healthcare sponsored a research project with UCT in the development of an innovative heart valve that is a cost-effective alternative to current alternatives for the surgical intervention of RHD.
Through the Life Healthcare nursing college, nurse bursaries are offered annually to previously disadvantaged students who cannot afford to pay for tuition:
- Higher Certificate in Auxiliary Nursing (NQF Level 5; 1 year programme)
- Diploma in Nursing (NQF Level 6; 3-year programme)
- Bachelor’s Degree in nursing (4-year programme)
Training and education for students with visual impairment
Since 2018 Life Healthcare has been the sole sponsor of the South African Council for the Blind, Optima College which provides vocational and life skills training for visually impaired students and trains 120 students annually in a one-year SETA accredited programme which includes, Introduction to computers, Contact Centre and Support, Business Administration Services and Braille Literacy. A further 250 to 300 visually impaired learners also enrol in short programmes during the year.