Upon completion of the B.Pharm degree, learners are expected to complete a one-year internship at a registered healthcare facility before applying for community service at one of the various public institutions in South Africa.
Our structured pharmacy intern programme is a one-year programme that starts in January and ends in December each year.
The programme was developed to equip the intern with practical experience in:
- dispensing medication
- counselling patients
- compounding sterile and non-sterile medication
- stock management
As part of the training, the intern also has the opportunity to:
- participate in a multifunctional healthcare team
- gain exposure in medication incident management
- participate in the clinical pharmacy programme
- get involved in quality projects and professional audits
- learn about financial management
- gain access to continuing education modules
Every year, our interns attend facility tours to other healthcare sectors, including manufacturing and wholesale and distribution to ensure a rounded experience.
During the year the intern will receive individualised support with:
- SAPC competence and unit standards
- A research project
- A portfolio of evidence
- Assistance with the pre-registration examination
The pharmacy intern programme also offers the following:
- Competitive remuneration
- Ongoing contact during community service through our In Touch programme
- Opportunity for re-employment following community service
- Excellent career growth opportunities within the group
Pharmacy internship applications are now closed.