Unit Manager - Theatre
- Life Kingsbury Hospital
- Unit Manager - Theatre
A vacancy exists for a Unit Manager: Theatre, based at Life Kingsbury Hospital, Cape Town, reporting to the Theatre Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and co-ordinating clinical practice and resources within the unit to achieve the Company & Hospital strategic objectives of quality, growth and people.
- Critical Outputs
- Effective clinical leadership
Lead and co-ordinate the daily operational management of the operating theatres.
- Ensure competence of staff and students, determine and drive criteria for effective professional socialization, create an environment conducive to learning and provide feedback to relevant stakeholders.
- Promote customer satisfaction within unit, address customer complaints, conduct quality care rounds and clinical practice audits to monitor care levels and report accordingly.
Identify clinical and safety risks and trends in all of the above, implement corrective action where necessary and monitor on an ongoing basis.
- Initiate and drive unit specific best operating practice, communicate these for wider implementation and participate in hospital specific marketing initiatives.
- Effective leadership and people management
Demonstrate visible leadership in respect of LHC values, operating model, Nursing strategy and image of the profession, actively sponsor LHC initiatives and projects to ensure continued and improved productivity.
Drive and manage all people related processes within unit.
Effective financial management (including equipment)
Participate in business planning and budgeting processes and manage nursing costs according to budget.
- Manage and control stock and drive product management processes within unit together with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure staff are trained on the operation of equipment within unit and together with relevant stakeholders ensure equipment is in working order to provide a safe patient environment.
- Effective relationships with internal & external stakeholders
Build and maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (i.e. HOD’s, Enabling functions, patients, service providers etc.).
- Build and maintain productive relationships with doctors by agreeing professional code of conduct, functioning as an advocate for LHC and communicate impact of industry challenges on the Nursing profession.
- Effective clinical leadership
- Degree/Diploma in Nursing with approximately 5 years post basic theatre experience with proven leadership and/or people management experience within healthcare (including clinical competence in area of specialization)
- Diploma in Operating Theatre Nursing Science essential
- Post basic management experience will be advantageous.
- Current registration with South African Nursing Council
- Basic understanding of labour legislation, financial and change management principles
- Computer proficiency (MS office)
- Leading by example
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Resilience , Team work
- Influencing (negotiation), developing people
- Verbal & written communication and presentation
- Drive and energy
- Building relationships & customer
- Excellence orientation ( high quality work)
- Ethical behaviour (honesty)
- Organisational awareness
- 021 670 4034
- Closing date
- Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.