Unit Manager - Renal Unit
- Life Peglerae Hospital
- Unit Manager - Renal Unit
A vacancy exists for a Unit Manager for the Renal Unit based at Life Peglerae Hospital, reporting to Zelma Hattingh, Nursing Manager.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and coordinating clinical practice and resources within the surgical ward to achieve the company and hospital objectives of quality, growth and people.
- Critical Outputs
Effective clinical leadership
- Lead the nursing team and co-ordinate and facilitate the delivery of the correct treatment plans within the correct program in order to achieve clinical outcomes.
- Function as clinical expert in achieving patient outcomes.
- Ensure competence of staff, basic and post basic students, determine and drive criteria for effective professional socialization, create an environment conducive to learning and provide feedback to relevant stakeholders.
- Promote customer satisfaction within unit, address customer complaints, conduct quality care rounds and clinical practice audits to monitor care levels and report accordingly.
- Implement national quality initiatives within unit with the focus on improved clinical outcomes and report accordingly.
- Identify clinical and safety risks and trends in all of the above, implement corrective action where necessary and monitor on an ongoing basis.
- Initiate and drive unit specific best operating practice, communicate these for wider implementation and participate in hospital specific marketing initiatives
Effective leadership and people management
- Demonstrate visible leadership in respect of LHC values, operating model, Nursing strategy and image of the profession, actively sponsor LHC initiatives and projects to ensure continued and improved productivity.
- Drive and manage all people related processes within unit.
Effective financial management (including equipment)
- Participate in business planning and budgeting processes and manage nursing costs according to budget.
- Manage stock utilization and drive product management processes within unit together with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure staff is trained on the operation of equipment within unit and together with relevant stakeholders ensure equipment is in working order to provide a safe patient environment.
Effective relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Build and maintain productive relationships with internal (i.e. HOD’s, Enabling functions, Theatre, Patient services etc, Services) and external stakeholders patients, family members, service providers etc through ongoing communication and feedback.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with doctors by agreeing professional code of conduct, driving and monitoring effective communication regarding positive patient outcomes, functioning as an advocate for LHC and communicate impact of industry challenges on the Nursing profession.
- Degree or Diploma in nursing
- Current registration with SANC
- Relevant experience in nursing to meet the critical outputs
- 2 years management experience an advantage.
- Proven leadership and people management skill
- Basic understanding of labour legislation, financial and chain management principles
- Understanding of the private healthcare industry, its challenges and role players would be an advantage
- Computer proficiency
- Driver’s license and ability to travel
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Engaging diversity
- Verbal & written communication and presentation skills
- Action orientation
- Building relationships
- Customer responsiveness
- Organisational awareness
- Leading by example
- Motivating and developing people
- Excellence orientation
- Ethical behaviour
- Closing date
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.