Unit Manager – Medical Ward
- Life Hilton Private Hospital
- Unit Manager – Medical Ward
A vacancy exists for a Unit Manager – Medical Ward based at Life Hilton Private Hospital, reporting to the Nurse Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the day to day management of the Medical Ward.
- Critical Outputs
- Lead the implementation of the nursing care plan and co-ordinate and facilitate the delivery of the correct treatment plan within the correct MDT program in order to achieve clinical outcomes.
- Function as clinical expert in achieving patient outcomes.
- Ensure competence of staff and students, determine and drive criteria for effective professional socialization, create an environment conducive to learning and provide feedback to relevant stakeholders.
- Promote customer satisfaction within the unit, address customer complaints, conduct quality care rounds and clinical practice audits to monitor care levels and report accordingly.
- Implement national quality initiatives within the unit with the focus on improved clinical outcomes and report accordingly.
- Identify clinical and safety risks and trends in all the above, implement corrective action where necessary and monitor on an ongoing basis.
- Initiate and drive unit specific best operating practice, communicate these for wider implementation and participate in hospital specific marketing initiatives.
- Effective leadership and people management
- Demonstrate visible leadership in respect of LHC values, operating model, Nursing strategy and image of the profession, actively sponsor LHC initiatives and projects to ensure continued and improved productivity.
- Drive and manage all people related processes within the unit.
- Effective financial management (including equipment)
- Participate in business planning and budgeting processes and manage nursing costs according to budget.
- Manage stock utilization and drive product management processes within the unit together with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure staff are trained on the operation of equipment within the unit and together with relevant stakeholders ensure equipment is in working order to provide a safe patient environment.
- Effective relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Build and maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (i.e. HOD’s, enabling functions, patients, family members, service providers etc.) through ongoing communication and feedback.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with doctors by agreeing professional code of conduct, driving and monitoring effective communication regarding positive patient outcomes, functioning as an advocate for LHC and communicate the impact of industry challenges on the nursing profession.
- Degree or Diploma in nursing with approximately 5 years post basic experience
- Current registration with SANC
- Proven leadership and people management skills/experience
- Basic understanding of labour legislation, financial and chain management principles
- Understanding of the private healthcare industry, its challenges and role players would be an advantage
- Computer proficiency
- Driver’s license and ability to travel
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Attention to detail
- Engaging diversity
- Verbal & written communication skills
- Action orientation
- Building relationships
- Customer responsiveness
- Organisational awareness
- Excellence orientation
- Ethical behaviour
- Closing date
- Friday, May 7, 2021
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.