UNIT MANAGER - Maternity & Paediatric Wards
- Life West Coast Private Hospital
- UNIT MANAGER - Maternity & Paediatric Wards
A vacancy exists for a Unit Manager, overseeing the Maternity & Paediatric Ward, based at Life West Coast Private Hospital, just 1½ hrs drive from Cape Town. You will be reporting to the Nursing Manager, Sr. Alzita Rix. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and co-ordinating clinical practice and resources within the unit to achieve the Company and Hospital strategic objectives of quality, growth and people.
- Critical Outputs
Effective clinical leadership
- Lead the implementation of the nursing care plan and co-ordinate and facilitate the delivery of the correct treatment plan.
- Function as clinical expert in achieving patient outcomes.
- Ensure competence of staff and students, determine and drive criteria for effective professional socialization, create an environment conducive to learning and provide feedback to relevant stakeholders.
- Promote customer satisfaction within unit, address customer complaints, conduct quality care rounds and clinical practice audits to monitor care levels and report accordingly.
- Implement national quality initiatives within unit with the focus on improved clinical outcomes and report accordingly.
- Identify clinical and safety risks and trends in all of the above, implement corrective action where necessary and monitor on an on-going basis.
- Initiate and drive unit specific best operating practice, communicate these for wider implementation and participate in hospital specific marketing initiatives.
Effective leadership and people management
- Demonstrate visible leadership in respect of LHC values, operating model, Nursing strategy and image of the profession, actively sponsor LHC initiatives and projects to ensure continued and improved productivity.
- Drive and manage all people related processes within unit.
Effective financial management (including equipment)
- Participate in business planning and budgeting processes and manage nursing costs according to budget.
- Manage stock utilization and drive product management processes within unit together with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure staff is trained on the operation of equipment within unit and together with relevant stakeholders ensure equipment is in working order to provide a safe patient environment.
Effective relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Build and maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (i.e. HOD’s, Enabling functions, patients, family members, service providers etc.) through on-going communication and feedback.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with doctors by agreeing professional code of conduct, driving and monitoring effective communication regarding positive patient outcomes, functioning as an advocate for LHC and communicate impact of industry challenges on the Nursing profession.
- Midwifery qualification is compulsory with approximately 5 yrs. post basic and proven leadership and/or people management experience within healthcare
- 2-3 year experience working in a medical ward as an acting UM
- Current registration with SANC as a qualified midwife.
- Experience in Obstetrics & Gynaecology nursing, as well as Post Natal nursing will be an advantage
- Understanding of the private healthcare industry, its challenges and role players would be an advantage
- Relevant experience in nursing to meet the critical outputs
- Basic understanding of labour legislation, financial and chain management principles
- Computer proficiency
- Driver’s license and ability to travel
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Engaging diversity
- Verbal & written communication and presentation
- Drive & energy
- Excellence orientation
- Ethical behaviour
- Building relationships
- Customer responsiveness
- Organisational awareness
- Closing date
- Thursday, September 23, 2021
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.