Senior Clinical Engineer
- Life Flora Hospital
- Senior Clinical Engineer
A vacancy exists for a Senior Clinical Engineer, based at Life Flora Hospital, reporting to Jacques de Klerk, Hospital Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management and maintenance of Medical equipment technology and all associated facets within the hospital. Life Healthcare has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in place which requires all employees to be COVID-19 vaccinated.
- Critical Outputs
Medical Equipment Asset Management and Maintenance
- Establish and maintain an accurate computerised asset management system as per Group Engineering protocols.
- Generate and manage a five and ten year medical equipment replacement plan for all priority 1 and 2 medical equipment for the hospital
- Perform first line repairs, modifications and installations on equipment, utilizing the necessary test equipment, in accordance with the standards and recommendations of original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and/or governing agencies
- Perform preventive maintenance inspections of equipment in line with Group Engineering and OEM protocols
- Control and management of maintenance conducted by suppliers and acceptance thereof
- Obtain and perform pre-acceptance inspections according to ECRI standards on new, demo and loan equipment
- Drive and manage the equipment commissioning process for new equipment as per Group Engineering protocols
Acquisition of Medical Equipment
- Drive the selection and acquisition of medical equipment technology that is fit for purpose and application, and up-to-date with current developments and best practices in the healthcare field
- Consult with Physicians, Nurses and peers in the field, to evaluate equipment and determine the correct specifications and standards of the required equipment as per the Group Engineering protocols
- Communicate and negotiate with vendors to purchase the most cost effective equipment at the highest quality as per Group Engineering and Procurement protocols
- Be actively involved with the Capex system, understand and manage lease and rental agreements as applied to the hospital
- Responsible for ‘Supply chain management’ of medical equipment for all growth/new projects as per Group Engineering protocols
Administration and Management
- Monitor and report on equipment failure trends and life cycle costs
- Manage Equipment SLAs at hospital level and ensure outputs are met
- Function as line manager to Clinical Engineering staff members
- Implementation of all policies and procedures as per Group Engineering protocols
- Active involvement with the budgeting of medical equipment Capex needs
- Management of Clinical Engineering Opex budget
- Establish a multi-disciplinary committee/forum to engage on a regular basis with key stake holders, discuss relevant Clinical engineering outputs, trends identified and follow a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Perform formal operators training and monitor competency compliance by arranging training with vendors for hospital nursing staff and equipment end-users.
- Ensure Clinical Engineering staff attend training and/or conferences in order to keep abreast with latest developments as well as recommendations from the OEM.
Maintain high professional standards
- Ensure professional growth and development through professional affiliations, conferences and available resources, to stay updated within the clinical engineering field
Support National strategic initiatives and contribute to growth
- Participate in Clinical Engineering forums and Projects as determined by Group Engineering
- Evaluate National projects implemented as per Group Engineering protocols
- Diploma in clinical / bio medical engineering or Diploma in electronics
- Three years experience in maintenance of medical equipment in a clinical environment
- Member of the Clinical Engineering Association of South Africa (CEASA)
- Experience within, and understanding of the private healthcare industry, its challenges and role players would be an advantage
- Previous exposure to budgeting and finance would be an advantage
- Previous management experience and/or qualification would be an advantage
- Computer proficiency
- Driver’s license and ability to travel
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Engaging diversity
- Verbal & written communication and presentation
- Influencing (negotiation)
- Drive & energy
- Building relationships
- Customer responsiveness
- Organisational awareness
- Leading by example (Key for Managers)
- Motivating and developing people (Key for Managers)
- Ethical behaviour
- Closing date
- Thursday, May 12, 2022
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note that Life Healthcare has a mandatory Covid vaccination policy.
Only vaccinated external candidates will also be considered.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date of this advert, should consider their application as unsuccessful.