Regional Clinical Pharmacist
- Inland South Region, Gauteng
- Regional Clinical Pharmacist
A vacancy exists for a Regional Clinical Pharmacist based within the Inland South Region in Gauteng, reporting to the the Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, with dotted line reporting to the Regional Hospital Manager.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading, managing, coordinating, monitoring and driving improvement in the clinical pharmacy services within the region, in line with the Group framework and company objectives. The delivery model encompasses clear clinical pharmacy leadership, strong multidisciplinary team participation, clinical pharmacy care coordination, including implementation of best practice, evidence based protocols and processes, thus enhancing safe cost effective care to patients and optimal outcomes.
- Critical Outputs
Effective clinical pharmacy services
- Provide expertise at hospital level to ensure the provision of customer focused, professional clinical pharmacy services;
- Drive implementation of available management information and tools to enable business units in the region to achieve strategic objectives and targets for clinical pharmacy;
- Provide workplace based support and mentoring to transition clinically qualified pharmacists into clinical practice, and develop skills, capacity and professional competency within the clinical pharmacy function;
- Ensure effective medication reconciliations are performed, and drive enhanced therapeutic drug monitoring;
- Drive the delivery of key performance indicators in clinical pharmacy processes and practice across hospitals in the region to improve patient outcomes;
- Provide appropriate clinical pharmacy input and support for cost of care management initiatives and projects;
- Develop clinical pharmacy tools and guidelines aligned to the regional clinical pharmacy team priorities.
- Enhance cooperative and influential working relationships with doctors, microbiologists and other key functional stakeholders;
- Provide drug information and evidence based guidance and training of other health professionals as required;
- Collaborate with Regional Clinical Manager and Infectious Diseases Specialist to achieve key outputs.
Advanced antimicrobial stewardship
- Elevate the pharmacy function’s performance at hospital level on antimicrobial stewardship as a key focus area;
- Monitor microorganisms cultured at unit level and in the region, and drive the compilation of ward specific antibiograms;
- Drive collection and analysis of AMS data to identify sustainably inappropriate utilization of antimicrobials. Support interventions to optimise drug utilisation and stewardship and improve safety and outcomes.
Systems, communication and reporting
- Drive the rollout of the new AMS and medication surveillance software in the region and ensure optimal utilisation of the system functionality;
- Preparation for and active participation in internal stakeholder meetings including presentation of progress and gaps;
- Reporting, communication and escalation of issues pertaining to clinical pharmacy and AMS.
Patient medication safety
- Elevate the performance on medication safety management and medication adverse event interventions;
- Role in development of drug administration protocols to proactively manage risk.
External stakeholder relationships and industry visibility and profile
- Contribute to and drive clinical pharmacist research and participation in industry conferences, relevant societies and external stakeholder meetings;
- Local and international benchmarking and identification and communication of best practice.
- Role in managing outputs of clinical and clinical practice pharmacists at hospital level and in performance reviews;
- Involvement in recruitment and retention of clinical pharmacy talent;
- Build regional teamwork through collaborative ward rounds, journal club meetings, focused workshops, and training;
- Facilitate cover in small hospitals with no CPP or CP aligned to LHC pharmacy professional succession path.
- Pharm, plus MSc (Med) Pharm, M. Pharm (Clinical Pharmacy), or Pharm D postgraduate degree is essential
- Relevant operational experience and application of clinical pharmacy masters in a hospital setting
- Current registration with the South African Pharmacy Council
- Contribution to appropriate industry conferences and journals would be a distinct advantage
- Computer proficiency
- Strategic thinking
- Strong leadership qualities
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Resilience, drive and energy
- Engaging diversity and managing change
- Influencing skills
- Performance and excellence orientation
- Ethical behaviour
- Business insight and organizational awareness
- Building relationships and networking
- Customer responsiveness
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to motivate and develop people
- Closing date
- Friday, November 15, 2019
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.