Operating Department Assistant
- Life Vincent Pallotti Hospital
- Operating Department Assistant
Life Vincent Pallotti Theatre is seeking to recruit an Operating Department Assistant, reporting to the Unit Manager, who is interested in the challenge of working in a dynamic and critical healthcare environment. The successful candidate will be joining a leading provider of Private Healthcare which delivers tailored, personalised care to all patients.
- Critical Outputs
Operate as part of the sterile and or/ non sterile team to create the optimum environment by preparing the technical aspects of the theatre environment for anaesthetic, diagnostic and surgical interventions
- Effective preparation of the pre-operative theatre environment according to organisational standards.
- Effective management of the non-sterile operating theatre environment for optimum patient care.
- Ensure that the technical and environmental conditions are consistent with organisational standards in the aesthetic environment.
Effective preparation of the pre-operative theatre environment according to organisational standards. o the theatre list o the protocol o the type of surgical / diagnostic procedure o the doctor preference
- Manage the theatre environment by ensuring the optimal:
- available equipment and anaesthetic gasses
- prepare and clean of anaesthetic machine
- Ensure that the correct sterile packs (instruments & linen) are available in accordance with the surgical speciality.
- Pre-operative screening of the patient:
- Confirm patient identity
- receive patient peri-operative form
- confirm allergies
- verify medical history
Effective management of the non sterile operating theatre environment for optimum patient care. Organisational standards are complied with.
- Ensure the safe transfer of the patient from pre-operative theatre to the theatre
- Confirm patient identity
- Ensure correct patient positioning in accordance with the surgical / diagnostic procedure.
- Place the diathermy pad and tourniquet onto patient as required by the registered professional.
- Position the trolleys in accordance to the requirements of the surgical / diagnostic procedure.
- Handle specimens appropriately by ensuring:
- correct fixture
- correct marking
- dispatch to pathology lab
- correct diagnosis specified
- Monitor of blood loss in terms of input and output.
- Connect equipment (diathermic and suction) outside the sterile field.
- Count and record swabs, sharps and instruments to ensure that everything is accounted for and to mitigate risk.
- Ensure that the principles of the aseptic technique in applied throughout the surgical or diagnostic procedure.
- Allocate and dispose of waste correctly in accordance with safety standards.
- Remove diathermic pad and tourniquet band as instructed by the registered professional.
- Prepare for the transfer of the patient into the recovery room.
- Accurately record in accordance with protocol, the following:
- documentation of activities
- consumables used for billing purposes
- complications resulting from procedure
- breakages and malfunctions of equipment or instrumentation
Support the registered professional in the sterile field during the operative phase using the aseptic technique. Organisational standards are complied with.
- Apply the principles of the aseptic technique within the sterile field.
- Scrub, gown and glove.
- Decontaminate and prepare sterile packs according to protocol.
- Counts swabs, sharps and instruments according to protocol.
- Prepare skin preparation and draping.
- Select, prepare and handle sterile equipment, instruments and supplies for surgical or diagnostic procedure.
Ensure that the technical and environmental conditions are consistent with organisational standards in the aesthetic environment. Organisational standards are complied with.
- Collect anaesthetic medication from refrigeration according to stock level requirements and place them in theatre.
- Prepare the anaesthetic equipment and ensure that it is ready for use (clean / plugged in / stocked).
- Prepare the anaesthetic trolley according to stock level requirements
- Prepare the anaesthetic tubes, IV lines and collect the sterile packs from the Central Surgical Sterile Department.
- Assist the Anaesthetist with positioning of the patient before and during the application of anaesthetics.
- Place the ECG stickers, BP Cuff, oxygen mask, saturation monitor and temperature monitor in accordance with instruction from the registered professional.
- Appropriate recording of the input and output of the drip.
Ensure that the technical and environmental conditions are consistent with organisational standards in in the recovery room. Organisational standards are complied with.
- Prepare recovery room by ensuring by preparing:
- equipment for usage according to protocol.
- storage and availability of anaesthetic drugs
- Transfer patient to recovery room in accordance with protocol.
- Record equipment and gasses according to protocol.
- Ensure that the theatre environment is decontaminated between procedures according to protocol.
- Grade 12,
- Diploma in Operating Department Practice is essential a minimum requirement
- Experience is essential
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgment
- Engaging diversity
- Verbal & written communication and presentation
- Drive & energy
- Building relationships
- Customer responsiveness
- Organisational awareness
- Leading by example
- Motivating and developing people
- Ethical behaviour
- Excellence orientation
- 021 506 4150
- 086 758 9525
- Closing date
- Tuesday, July 24, 2018
Internal applicants - Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.